Today, women can get their bodies back with the rejuvenating experience of a mommy makeover. It is one of the most sought after and popular cosmetic procedures to address common issues that women face after having children, nursing, or, simply, the natural aging process. A mommy makeover is a comprehensive approach that combines two or more cosmetic treatments, allowing patients to look slimmer, more fit, and younger while boosting their self-esteem. Each mommy makeover is tailored to help patients reach their specific goals. Some women choose a breast lift with a tummy tuck, while others may choose a different combination of procedures based on their aesthetic needs. Many patients want to know how long does it take to recover from mommy makeover surgery? Depending on the type and number of surgical treatments, the full mommy makeover recovery process can vary with each patient.
Board-certified and award-winning plastic surgeon Dr. Arun Rao answers these questions and more for patients in Tucson, AZ. Dr. Rao will discuss topics like how to set your expectations for mommy makeover results, what to do for optimal healing, and more at a one-on-one consultation at Rao Plastic & Hand Surgery. He and his experienced team will walk patients through each step of the process so they understand the procedure and can attain their goals, as well as have a smoother recovery time at home, Read on to learn more about mommy makeover results and how to have optimal healing.
What's involved in a mommy makeover?
Every Tucson, AZ patient is faced with different challenges when it comes to their bodies. It can be loose abdominal skin, or sagging breasts, or even certain areas where stubborn fat has settled in. A healthy diet and regular exercise can help, but for some women, especially after having children, it is a struggle to get their body back. A mommy makeover can be customized to give each woman the cosmetic help she needs to have the body of her dreams. Working closely with an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon, like Dr. Rao, will help determine what each patient needs to transform the way they look. Common mommy makeover treatments can include:
- Breast augmentation
- Breast augmentation + lift
- Breast lift
- Breast reduction
- Tummy tuck
What is the full mommy makeover recovery timeline?
A patient's recovery is influenced by the procedures chosen during the consultation process. Dr. Rao will listen to each patient's concerns and aesthetic goals while reviewing their complete medical history. After a thorough examination of the target areas, Dr. Rao will give his recommendations and go over the surgical details. After each customized mommy makeover plan, the professional staff at Rao Plastic & Hand Surgery will communicate any post-surgical needs and recovery guidelines. The multifaceted approach of this cosmetic procedure varies by patient, but for some, it can take about two weeks to resume some normal activities. For patients who had a full mommy makeover recovery at home may last several weeks. Dr. Rao will discuss optimal healing and, based on your mommy makeover, he will also help you set expectations for mommy makeover healing time.
Helpful tips for mommy makeover healing time
One of the most effective and comfortable environments for recovering from plastic surgery procedures is at home. For patients considering a mommy makeover, it is recommended to plan and be prepared for the healing process. Organize and set aside easy access to pillows and blankets, and preplan meals to maintain healthy eating. Other basic timeline factors are:
- The first two weeks are considered a rest and recovery period.
- Full-time care will be necessary for the first 48 – 72 hours.
- Pain medication may be needed for the first 48 – 72 hours. Patients can then switch to Tylenol, avoiding Advil, aspirin, or non-steroidal pain medications during recovery.
- Patients will experience swelling, bruising, and tenderness. These symptoms will slowly dissipate after the first week, but they may be present for the first few weeks or months.
- Compression garments, including surgical bras for breast procedures, must be worn until cleared by the plastic surgeon.
- Patients can usually return to sedentary work within 5 – 10 days.
- Light walking may be resumed the first week, but forgo regular workouts for six weeks, or until it is approved by your doctor.
- Patients should avoid swimming in pools, hot tubs, lakes, or the ocean for the first three weeks.
- Avoid alcohol for the first two weeks.
- Take proper care of all surgical incisions to avoid the risk of infection or complications.
- Follow-up appointments are imperative to monitor a patient's progress closely.
For any type of mommy makeover surgery, staying hydrated, getting plenty of rest, and taking all prescribed medications is essential. These helpful guidelines and tips allow for a smooth, more stress-free, full mommy makeover recovery process. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Rao and his professional staff can help you have the body you always wanted and will guide you every step of the way. Bilingual Spanish speaking staff is also available. We invite you to call today to schedule your consultation with Dr. Rao at Rao Plastic & Hand Surgery in Tucson, AZ.