Today, women and more men are looking for methods to fight the signs of aging. The interest in plastic surgery is at an all-time high and doesn’t seem to be slowing down. Nonsurgical facial injections like dermal fillers or BOTOX are the cornerstones of the cosmetic industry, offering individuals a way to look their best at any age without any downtime needed. Cosmetic injections are a quick and easy fix to minimize wrinkles and get a fresher look. However, with so many options to choose from, it can be overwhelming to know which one is right for you.
Neurotoxins like BOTOX, dermal fillers like Juvéderm or Restylane®, and new injectables like Kybella® are all aimed at giving individuals a rejuvenated, younger-looking appearance. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Arun Rao is the founder of Rao Plastic & Hand Surgery in Tucson, AZ. Dr. Rao prides himself on providing the highest quality of care for his patients in both surgical and nonsurgical procedures. If you have been considering facial injections but are unsure about where to start, here is a beginner’s guide from Dr. Rao on the benefits of cosmetic injectables.
Is BOTOX the same as dermal fillers?
A common question asked by patients is about the difference between dermal fillers and BOTOX — do they do the same thing? Both BOTOX and dermal fillers are minimally invasive cosmetic injections utilized to give individuals a softer, younger-looking appearance. However, that is where the similarities end.
BOTOX, Dysport®, and Xeomin® are wrinkle relaxers, also called neurotoxins. These face injections reduce the effects of aging by inhibiting certain facial muscles from contracting, which prevents wrinkles, lines, and lax skin from forming on the upper part of the face. Dermal fillers like Juvéderm, Restylane, and Sculptra® fill in areas that have lost volume and eliminate visible signs of aging. Dermal fillers can also stimulate collagen production to help ward off the effects of aging skin and act as a preventive solution.
A quick guide to Dr. Rao’s injectable options
- BOTOX/Dysport/Xeomin: All three face injections can help with dynamic wrinkles caused by repeated facial expressions like smiling, laughing, or frowning. These temporary solutions block specific facial muscles to give a smoother, more youthful look. They also prevent the facial muscles from creating new dynamic lines or wrinkles. Dysport is commonly used to tackle the “11” lines between the eyebrows. Xeomin, like BOTOX, is equally effective in that area, along with the forehead or around the eyes to eliminate Crow’s feet. Dr. Rao and his professional staff can determine which wrinkle relaxer is the best option for you to get optimal results.
- Juvéderm: This is a versatile collection of dermal filler injectables that can tackle a range of facial areas. Dr. Rao’s practice offers all of the Juvéderm variations, including Juvéderm Voluma, which is primarily used to restore lost volume in the cheek area. Juvéderm Ultra XC and Volbella can add shape and volume to the lips. while Juvéderm XC and Vollure can soften wrinkles and lines around the mouth or nose.
- Restylane: Much like its counterpart Juvéderm, Restylane is another popular brand with a varied family of injectables to address different areas of the lips and mid-face. Restylane Defyne can reduce deep laugh lines around the mouth, while Restylane Lyft adds volume and lifts the cheeks. Restylane Refyne can fill in smaller or shallower laugh lines around the mouth, and Restylane Silk can add volume to the lips and smooth out vertical lines, also known as “lipstick lines,” for a smoother appearance.
- Kybella: Dr. Rao is excited to offer this new FDA-approved injectable that can be a nonsurgical solution to eliminate excess fat or the dreaded “double chin.” Excess pockets of submental fat (fat under the chin) can be caused by age, genetics, or fluctuating weight. This innovative injectable can reduce neck fat to give patients a slimmer, more contoured profile without undergoing a surgical procedure.
Can I have fillers after BOTOX or vice versa?
When working with a qualified, experienced injector, Tucson-area patients can experience the transformative effects of a “liquid facelift.” Dermal fillers and wrinkle relaxers are often used alongside each other to treat certain areas of the face and address specific issues. A combination of injectables can actually work together to prolong the results, especially with fillers. Dermal fillers break down more quickly with active facial muscles. BOTOX and other neurotoxins temporarily restrict those movements, generally giving fillers a longer life. Dermal fillers can also stimulate collagen production, a protein in our skin that decreases with age. Together, these injectables can work as preventive components to fight the signs of aging while helping patients look more radiant.
Women and men in the Tucson area looking to rejuvenate their overall look can turn to these injectable powerhouses to tackle a number of issues. These nonsurgical options can make patients look refreshed without the need for any downtime. You can have a complete liquid facelift and love the way you look.
Schedule your consultation with Dr. Rao today
Dr. Arun Rao is a board-certified plastic surgeon who provides several different noninvasive options to his patients in Tucson, AZ. Dr. Rao and his professional team, including bilingual, Spanish-speaking staff, at Rao Plastic & Hand Surgery can offer cosmetic injectables to help you meet your aesthetic goals. If you’re interested in face injections to start your journey toward a new you, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Rao today.
* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.